bread

 
 
I love making bread, as you will find out if you read this.

I also love sourdough and have tried different approaches and recipes, but sad to say, it has been an on/off romance! Sometimes, my attempts produced a nicely risen loaf with satisfying chewiness, but other times, for no apparent reason, the starter turned from  sweet smelling yeastiness to downright unpleasantness overnight.

But time, I thought, to start anew and this recipe from Raymond Blanc seemed like a good 'not quite sourdough' compromise. Singing-girl, home for Easter, was keen to have a go too.

The dough starter didn't look too promising.


Neither did the next stage.


But singing-girl set to work kneading and had soon produced a lovely looking dough - all soft springiness, like a plumped up duvet.





We were both pleased with the finished loaf.

 
 


It has a nice chewiness and a good depth of flavour, due to the rye flour.

The recipe makes 4 good sized loaves - too much for mr digandweed and myself. Singing-girl is taking a loaf back and I hope the rest freezes well!





Comments

  1. Golly, that looks good! I've never tried making sourdough, all that feeding and fussing put me off. Seeing your loaf makes me want to give your version a try. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to watch Paul Hollywood tomorrow night as that is all about sourdough I think.

      Delete
  2. Now that looks pretty good to me. Fortunately my husband made a malted grain loaf upon request this morning, so I can't be too envious of you apart from the fact that I only have a little cheddar to have with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good! I love baking but my bread's pretty awful so I'm always admiring of those who can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bit of an on/off relationship with sourdough too. In fact I have a starter that has been sitting in my fridge for weeks. Perhaps I should take it out and try feeding it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've yet to attempt sourdough but your loaf looks so good, I'm really tempted to have a go. (Commenting here whilst I wait for a Paul Hollywood white cob dough to prove!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This loaf was not quite a sourdough, but after watching latest Paul Hollywood program, think I am going to have a go at the real thing!

      Delete

Post a Comment